How do Russians translate "breaking news" caption on TV?

ломая новости )))
    – shabunc
    Jan 11, 2013 at 14:46

2 Answers 2

There is no expression with direct translation of "break" in sense of "make known suddenly".

Usually it's translated as экстренные новости, экстренное сообщение, срочное сообщение or срочные новости.

The title of the Hong Kong movie was translated as Горячие новости (literally "hot news").

It can also be "срочный выпуск новостей"
    – Olga
    Jul 5, 2012 at 12:16
    I think this was translated as "Экстренное сообщение"
    – Karlson
    Jul 5, 2012 at 13:57
  • @Karlson: this too.
    – Quassnoi
    Jul 5, 2012 at 13:57
  • I've also seen эксклюзи́вный репорта́ж somewhere. Or was it just эксклюзив ? link : english.sina.com/video/2012/0613/476287.html sorry for the video, but it's the only example I found.
    – Felipe
    Sep 8, 2012 at 12:27
  • @FelipeAlmeida эксклюзивный means that no other agency or channel has the same news. This may be not because it is 'breaking' but because they have signed a contract with a person or organization that performs the event (like "Formula 1 racing event in Monaco"), or because their correspondent was just in time at the place where something has happened.
    – Artemix
    Aug 24, 2013 at 19:06

Сообщение ИТАР ТАСС с пометкой "Молния!"

Let me give some context:

You see, ИТАР ТАСС is one of Russian news agencies and сообщение с пометкой "Молния!" is a special kind of message that has to be delivered immediately. Its name comes from marks on urgent telegrams which were the closest approximation of old technologies to real-time communication. Since then, when "hot" news about an event is delivered to the TV studio during live broadcasting, the reporter may precede this message with words like К нам поступило сообщение с пометкой "молния".

So, it's not strictly speaking a translation of "Breaking news", but it is still quite common on the TV.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.