(Да) ты крут!

I see this everywhere. Is it the equivalent of (Am.) English "Oh, you're goo(ooo)d..." when someone does something well or shows what he's capable of (usually to the speaker's surprise, who is also duly impressed)?

Oh, you're good!

• I believe "cool" is reasonably close – მამუკა ჯიბლაძე Jun 7 '14 at 16:42
  • I know it means "cool" - however in this particular usage, "you're cool" doesn't really correspond to "you're good" in the context I described, which is what I suspect this means. – CocoPop Jun 7 '14 at 16:44
  • Hmmm I believe when a person did something exceptionally well and you just say "Cool!" this is usually understood as praising that person, no? – მამუკა ჯიბლაძე Jun 7 '14 at 16:47
  • I mean also in Russian in such case you might also just say "Круто!" and this would mean more or less the same... – მამუკა ჯიბლაძე Jun 7 '14 at 16:48
  • We wouldn't use cool in that situation - and much less "you're cool." We mostly use cool to accept a proposition or agree to something: Shall we go to the beach after lunch? -Cool. Or: I think we're going home after this. -Cool. I'll see you tomorrow. It's like "no problem.' – CocoPop Jun 7 '14 at 16:50

In colloquial American English it would be "you're a badass". Another option is "mean", but it's used to characterize a skill or action, e.g. "that's some mean juggling"

• Ok, so then it is "you're good" - that's what we say in that situation - "badass" is just a more vulgar variant of the same thing. Thanks! – CocoPop Jun 8 '14 at 12:32
  • Крут is not necessarily vulgar, but it's a slang word – Aksakal almost surely binary Jun 8 '14 at 14:31

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.