In a social context, рекомендовать means to introduce people to somebody. At first I thought is was a complete false-friend, however now I see that they might not be that far apart. For instance, if you were introducing a commercial product, you probably would say:

I recommend/advise you read X book.

So, when you say рекомендовать, is this a biased introduction of somebody? Like

I recommend you this person, I know who this person is and it will be beneficial to you.

and not just introducing the person?

• I think that "рекомендовать" is like "strongly suggest", and it can be not biased at all (depending on the context).
    – seninp
    Jun 16, 2014 at 20:15

2 Answers 2

Below is a definition of the word Рекомендовать from Словарь иностранных слов. As you can see, unbiased recommendation (3.) is now marked as outdated. Modern meaning is "I recommend you X, because he/she/it is useful/beneficial to you:

РЕКОМЕНДОВА́ТЬ, ду́ю, ду́ет, несов. и сов. [польск. rekomendować < ср.-лат. recommendare < лат. mandāre поручать].
1. кого-что.Давать (дать) благоприятный отзыв о ком-чем-н., предлагать (предложить) использовать, принять куда-н. и т. п.Р. опытного работника. Р. кого-н. на должность заведующего. 2. что и с инфин.Советовать.Врачи не рекомендуют мне отдыхать на юге.
3. кого (что), устар.Знакомя с кем-н., называть (назвать), представлять (представить).Рекомендую вам мое семейство: жена, дочь.

Several ethymologic dictionaries claim that the word is borrowed around 1705 from Polish language (rekomendować). However Словарь Ушакова marks this word as borrowed from French language.

• "Отрекомндоваться" meaning "to introduce oneself" is a bit less outdated.
    – Dima
    Jun 13, 2014 at 19:43

Рекомендовать always means to advise in modern Russian. So it cannot be used as unmarked "to introduce".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.