Are the imperative and infinitive always completely reasonable alternatives?

E.g.:

Сидеть! - сиди!

не повторя́ть! - не повторя́й!

• see [link] (russian.stackexchange.com/questions/1512/…) Imperatives and Aspect – N romaai Jun 26 '14 at 18:24
  • ‘Не повторя́ть!>’ not ‘Не повтори́ть!’ – Dmitry Alexandrov Jun 26 '14 at 19:34
  • @DmitryAlexandrov is "повторять" the imperfective? as "повторяй" is? – N romaai Jun 26 '14 at 20:18
  • Yes, exactly. Повторя́й is a singular imperative form of повторя́ть. The same form of повтори́ть would be повтори́. – Dmitry Alexandrov Jun 26 '14 at 20:43
  • The linked question contains a thorough explanation. My examples are from a movie where the guard is instructing a prisoner (фартовый) – N romaai Jun 26 '14 at 20:47

There is a slight difference between them, the infinite sentences used as imperative are much more aggressive and exigent. For example, only infinite sentences are used to train dogs:

Ша́рик, сиде́ть! Sharik (dog's name), sit!

Ты посиди́ здесь, а я пойду́ посмотрю́, в чём там де́ло. Stay (sit) here, and I will see what is happening.

• I get the example in regards to the question, but I dont understand "я пойду́ посмотрю́." Is "посмотрю́" the direct object of "пойду́" (like "I will have a look")? Or are they both verbs that agree with "я?" – N romaai Jun 27 '14 at 16:35
    In this case it is not the imperative or the infinite construction. It is a colloquial expression, used normally with the verbs of movement. These are two verbs in the form of the 1st person, singular (я): Я пойду посмотрю (colloquial speech) = Я пойду посмотреть (neurtral speech) Я сбегаю куплю хлеб (colloquial speech) = Я сбегаю купить хлеб (neutral speech). – RussianTeacher Jun 27 '14 at 16:50
  • Can you use it any person? eg Ты посиди́ здесь, а он пойдёт посмо́трит, в чём там де́ло. – N romaai Jun 27 '14 at 22:03
  • Yes, you can use it in any person. – RussianTeacher Jun 28 '14 at 9:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.