Would someone be able to analyze the phrase "до сих пор?" I know it means "still," but I translate it as "until these then," and I dont understand why it can mean "still."

• Am I correct that сих is genitive plural of сей?
    – N romaai
    Jun 26 '14 at 19:54
    @N romaai Yes. And пор is gen. pl. of пора́ ‘time’. So до сих пор can be literally translated as ‘until this time’. Pretty clear, IMHO. Jun 26 '14 at 20:04
  • BTW, it's more comfortable to refrain from treating phrases like this with word-for-word translations. It's easier to view до сих пор as "a single word" with one meaning than a conglomeration of words that make Russian seem even crazier than it is
    – galois
    Feb 8 '17 at 20:21

"До сих пор" means literally "till these times". Yes, it is the Genitive case plural used with the preposition "до". "Сих" comes from "сии", which used to mean "these", in the modern Russian language it is the pronoun "эти". "Пор" comes from "пора" which means "time, period, season".

• Did you mean "сии"?
    – Yellow Sky
    Jun 26 '14 at 22:10
  • Yes, sorry, it is a typos, corrected. Jun 27 '14 at 6:12

In terms of whether it means "still," as a Russian learner myself, I've noticed that there are several ways to express "still" in Russian. Here are just the ones I've learned, with their literal translations:

1. (всё) ещё : still
  2. до сих пор : up to (and including) now
  3. по-прежнему: as before

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.