When referring to an event in a specific year, it is в этом году with этом replaced by the year in prepositional, e. g., в 1956-м году. But for decades I have seen both в 1950-х годах and в 1950-е годы. What is the difference in usage between these two choices?

• Very good question. I do not feel any semantic difference between accusative годы and locative годах here, but the latter is more common. Jun 30 '14 at 6:07
  • Rosenthal confirms that: ‘В двадцатых годах (реже в двадцатые годы) нашего века (при обозначении десятилетий посредством порядковых числительных чаще употребляется не вин. падеж, а предл.)’. Jun 30 '14 at 6:09
  • And please pay attention to correct spelling of abbreviation of inflection: 1950-х, not 1950ых as it was written before my edit. Jun 30 '14 at 6:15
  • That в этих годах and в эти годы are the same thing nevertheless seems strange. Are there other examples where an accusative and prepositional case for describing time are equivalent?
    – KCd
    Jun 30 '14 at 6:16
  • With other units of time at least: в пятнадцатый — шестнадцатый века нашей эры (acc.) and в пятнадцатом — шестнадцатом веках нашей эры (loc.). I in person would not say it in the first way, but you can hear it sometimes. Jun 30 '14 at 6:31

For me there is no any difference between locative в пятидеся́тых года́х and accusative в пятидеся́тые го́ды, neither semantic, nor stylistic, nor dialectical. But in literary Russian the former variant seems to prevail.

В двадцатых годах (реже в двадцатые годы) нашего века (при обозначении десятилетий посредством порядковых числительных чаще употребляется не вин. падеж, а предл.).

— Д. Э. Розенталь. Пунктуация и управление в русском языке.

You’ve asked is it about год only. No, in my Russian units of time with ordinals may be declined to answer когда? question in this way:

в первые секунды
в первые минуты
в первые часы
в первые дни
в первые недели / на первых неделях
в первые месяцы / в первых месяцах / на первых месяцах
в первые годы / в первых годах
в первые десятилетия / в первых десятилетиях
в первые века / в первых веках
на первых порах
в первые мгновения

But I cannot see any system here.

• на первых неделях and на первых месяцах do not sound right to me
    – cha
    Jul 1 '14 at 4:02
  • How about classic "Во первых строках моего письма...."? This could extend the answer :)
    – Putnik
    Jul 1 '14 at 13:36

These two choices are equivalent, but I would say the "в пятидесятых годах" form is a bit more frequently used than "в пятидесятые годы".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.