Is there a good synonym dictionary of Russian words like The Penguin guide to synonyms and related word by S. I. Hayakawa (which is for English words)?

Because though ordinary defining dictionaries give explanations of the meaning of the words, the difference is not always clear from those definitions. A synonym dictionary would be a great tool to show the differences between words.

One example from "The Penguin guide to synonyms and related word" to illustrate what kind of dictionary I mean: enter image description here

• There's probably no such dictionary for Russian synonyms. There are several synonym dictionaries but all of them more or less just enumerate the related words, without explaining their difference. Jul 20 '12 at 22:48
  • @n.m. It's a pity :( I'm a native Russian would benefit from it greatly, let alone those who study Russian as a foreign language.
    – ovgolovin
    Jul 20 '12 at 23:03

I am aware of one dictionary with the structure similar to the one requested. It's Новый объяснительный словарь синонимов русского языка. It doesn't contain a large number of synonyms, however it does a pretty good job explaining the differences within a set of synonyms.

As I have found it on the internet myself, I am sharing it via my web site. However please note that I will remove it if requested so by copyright owners. Here is the link.

• This dictionary seem to be for linguist and not for ordinary learners not acquainted with the terminology. At least, at first glance it seemed a bit overcomplicated for me. While "The Penguin guide to synonyms and related word" gives a simple explanation in everyday language of the word differences, suitable for ordinary people.
    – ovgolovin
    Jul 22 '12 at 20:24
  • @ovgolovin You are probably right. It's not on the same level as the Penguin's one. Yet it's the only one I found that actually provides more than just sets of words.
    – Aleks G
    Jul 23 '12 at 7:50

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.