Она использует плед в качестве занавеса.
Она использует плед как занавеса.

1. Is this example correct and does как require the genitive here?
  2. Are these two expressions interchangable?
  3. Is there another common way to express the same?
    You need "Она использует плед как занавес" without -а at the end of "занавес".
    – Artemix
    Jul 26, 2014 at 10:23

2 Answers 2

1. The second sentence is wrong, как doesn't require the genitive, it never requires any specific case. In the construction Х как Y, the Y noun phrase should be in the same case as the X noun phrase, and the case of X is defined by what precedes it, that is by the usual case rules of the sentence/phrase it is used in.

In your first sentence the word плед is in the accusative since it is the direct object of the verb использует, so занавес should also be in the accusative:

Она использует плед как занавес.

2. Yes.

3. Yes, you can use вместо 'instead':

Она использует плед вместо занавеса.

Here занавеса is in the genitive, because the preposition вместо always needs the genitive.

• In the construction Х как Y, the Y noun phrase should be in the same case as the X noun phrase - that's a key hint to me. вместо does work here, but it seems to me, that it only covers a portion of the entire intersection between как and в качестве.
    – user3538
    Jul 29, 2014 at 5:11

I think the word занавеска is more natural here than занавес.

When I hear word занавес I imagine the curtain in the theater that is dropped at the end of performance. When I hear занавеска I imagine the thing that is used to hide something from other eyes.

So, if we are really talking about the theater then the form занавес is correct. In other cases I would use the word занавеска.

Anyway, both versions sound good for me:

Она использует плед в качестве занавески - OK

Она использует плед как занавеску - OK, too

• Ah, I didn't even think about that. Good point, too. Even if the heart of the question has been answered by yellowsky already.
    – user3538
    Jul 27, 2014 at 11:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy