'Тс' already sounds like 'Ть' so why is there a soft sign there? Do I pronounce them both like a soft T?

• Is the question about verb endings?
    – Artemix
    Jul 29 '14 at 3:38
  • The following is incorrect: "Тс' already sounds like 'Ть' " - these two are pronounced as "цц". Смеются произносится как "Смеюцца", смеяться произносится как "смеяцца"
    – A-K
    Jul 29 '14 at 18:39
  • @Artemix: the original question was: "ть" already sounds like "тс" - because unfortunately some sites teach that soft [t] is pronounced [ts]. So the OP's question began with that misconception. Thus your edit makes no sense and his question (in theory) makes no sense. A less confusing questions (that won't confuse new readers) would be: Why does the verb ending -ться have a soft sign, and how is it pronounced?
    – CocoPop
    Jul 30 '14 at 14:45
  • @CocoPop I do not agree with you. I just added dashes to show that question is about endings. In fact it is a common mistake for native speakers as well. Most answers posted prior to my edit are about verb endings. It's a pity that OP does not react nor to comments, nor to answers.
    – Artemix
    Jul 30 '14 at 19:35

There is no difference in pronunciation but "ь" is kept merely for the sake of consistency.

You see, most infinitives end in "-ть". And the 3rd person singular/plural end in :

• to love = любить
  • he loves = он любит

And now, the magic! To form a reflexive verb form you add 'сь' after a vowel and 'ся' after a consonant. So....

• говорить + ся = говориться
  • говорит + ся = говорится
  • женят + ся = женятся

The pair "говориться/говорится" indeed sounds exactly the same because it so happens that 3rd person singular for many "-ить" verbs of the И-conjugation differs from the infinitive only by the hardness of the last consonant.

Actually ь is there to indicate the infinitive. However, there is no distinction in pronunciation between -ться and -тся : they're both pronounced -тца.

смея́ться - [сме•я́т•ца] infinitive

смеётся - [сме•йо́т•ца] 3rd p. sing.

смеются - [сме•ю́т•ца] 3rd p. pl.

• Thanks. Haven't gotten into verb aspects much but I remember the infinitive part about 'ть'. Jul 29 '14 at 0:06
  • This actually has nothing to do with aspect; it's phonetic, not grammatical - both perfective and imperfective verbs have these endings.
    – CocoPop
    Jul 30 '14 at 14:39

It's mostly grammatical and as correctly stated above "ться" usually indicates the infinitive. It is relatively simple to catch the rule by using the following cheat:

• If the word answers the "что делать" question use "ться".
  • If the word answers the "что делает / -ют" question you use "тся".

Yes, if there's "ь" in the question word, feel free to use "ться", and the opposite - if there's no "ь" in the question, use тся.

Yes, this is the way how pupils are taught in Russian schools. But it seems to me that such mnemonics are suitable for native speakers only.
    – Artemix
    Jul 30 '14 at 7:32
  • I am not native speaker and this "cheat" sounds perfectly suitable for me. ;) Requires certain language proficiency, but still.
    – Rilakkuma
    Jul 30 '14 at 7:54
    Ah, I see :) In fact there are many native speakers on Russian.SE (including myself) and I thought you may be one of them. It's good that this "cheat" works for non-native speakers, because there are some language features that are intuitive for natives (like pairs of verbs of different aspect) and should be learnt by heart by others.
    – Artemix
    Jul 30 '14 at 10:37
    This cheat is more confusing that the original question! This looks like it would only work if you were Russian.
    – CocoPop
    Jul 30 '14 at 14:49
  • Well I am not Russian however I learned it during teenager years and find this explanation clear. I am sorry if it does not work for you.
    – Rilakkuma
    Jul 30 '14 at 16:00

Some native russian have troubles with "-тся"/"-ться" too. So we have special site for that: http://tsya.ru/

• Neither your post nor that site you are linking to answers the question in any way. Oct 14 '14 at 3:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.