I did a proficiency test recently and I wanted to clarify why I got some answers wrong. In the following examples:

"Летом мы ездим на дачу каждые выходные." -- It's "ездим" / ездить because it's done usually ?

"Завтра мы поедем в Академгородок на маршрутке №15. -- It's "поедем" because it's specific ?

"Та женщина, которой ты дал 100 рублей, где она сейчас? -- It's "которой" because it answers the question "кому" but the female form? (I had answered "которому.")

"Мне не поднять этот пакет. Помогите, пожалуйста." Why is this "поднять" and not "поднимать" ?

"Ребенок заплакал, так как испугался." It could also be "испугавшись" because it's past perfect?

"Приглашения удалось получить тем, кто подал заявки заранее." It's "тем" because it answers the question "кому" ?

благодарю!

• ‘Yes’ to all of your yes/no questions, with one little remark: a subordinate clause кото́рой ты́ да́л сто́ рубле́й answers the question ‘како́й [же́нщине]?’ or ‘кото́рой [же́нщине]?’, not ‘кому́?’.

• Подня́ть (i. e. perfective aspect) rather поднима́ть (imperfective) is because he can not carry out an action – lifting a bag.

(Although that is not the thing, you have to know at your level of Russian, Мне́ не поднима́ть э́тот паке́т is a pretentious way to say “I’m not going to lift the bag”. I doubt that anyone would ever say this very sentence, but something like мне́ с ни́м не жи́ть “I’m not going to live with him” is somewhat common colloquial expression, which implies “I don’t care of his merits / demerits”.)

• It could be Ребёнок запла́кал, испуга́вшись, but in this case there would not be a semantic stress on cause. So it would not fit well as an answer to a ‘Why?’ question “Почему́ запла́кал ребёнок?”.

• so, so helpful, mucho appreciado. – новичок Aug 8 '14 at 18:34
  • @новичок Нема за що. Even though, as your are new to StackExchange, I would remind you that it’s highly desirable to mark the question solved if it have been solved. – Dmitry Alexandrov Aug 9 '14 at 11:32
  • Dmitry thank you I was not aware, I think I marked it as such now, thank you! zapomniu! – новичок Aug 11 '14 at 2:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.