Do I always need to put a hyphen in "по-английски" or are there some rules telling us when I should and when I should not do so?

Hyphen is considered to be a part of word, it is orthography, not punctuation. – Olga Jul 27 '12 at 14:28
  • Hyphen is not always a part of the word - consider the case when the hyphen is used for syllabification (разбивание на слоги) or as a carry-over sign (знак переноса). Thus, it is a punctuation sign. – brilliant Jul 28 '12 at 2:33
  • Oh, yes, you're right. It just didn't seem right to me that something within a word could be considered a punctuation mark. But one cannot argue with a Большая советская энциклопедия =)) – Olga Jul 28 '12 at 10:51

"По-английски" is an adverb that is derived from a full-formed adjective "английский" and that ends with "ки".

According to the rules of Russian spelling (Rosental, D.E.), such adverbs are written with a hyphen. You can find the original rule down the link, and here is its translation into English:

Adverbs with prefix по- and endings -ому, -ему, -ки, -ьи that are derived from a full-formed adjectives or pronouns are written with a hyphen. For example: работать по-новому, пусть будет по-вашему, советовать по-дружески, говорить по-французски, хитрить по-лисьи, по-видимому, по-пустому, по-прежнему. Also: сделаем по-серёжиному (derived from a possessive adjective серёжин, which stems from proper name Серёжа).

Also, "по-английски" is always an adverb. It cannot be seen as a combination of a preposition and an adjective, because no adjective can have ending и in dative case with which preposition по is used. That means that "по-английски" is always written with a hyphen.

In the way you spelled the word, meaning "in English language" – always.

You will not put a hyphen in a somewhat similar wording when the meaning would be different. E.g. "по английскому обычаю".

• Well, thanks, but my question is not about "по английскому", but about "по английски". I don't think there can be found a case, in which a hyphen would be needed in "по английскому" or in "по английской". Shortly, my question is about the adverb, not about an adjective. – brilliant Jul 25 '12 at 6:32
  • Well, thanks, but my question is not about "по английскому", but about "по английски". I don't think there can be found a case, in which a hyphen would be needed in "по английскому" or in "по английской". Shortly, my question is not about an adjective, but the adverb. – brilliant Jul 25 '12 at 7:03
  • The first line of my answer is a direct answer to your question. Remaining part is just an example of a related case, you can disregard it. – coverback Jul 25 '12 at 7:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.