Do I need a comma here before the second "да"?

Да и среди нас нет-нет да найдутся неверующие в акцидентное пресуществление.

I think you do not need it. First source I found is from gramota.ru. It says that it is an unbroken expression and provides a couple examples.

Rozental's reference §96 (point 1, note в) states the same. However, both of the sources require you to have a да и, not just да in there.

I don't think I ever heard this expression without the и, but I also can't say it's mandatory. Maybe someone else can comment or edit me about the requirement of the и.

• it is much rarer, but nevertheless valid and existent. For example > Кабы вот не эта красная вывеска напротив, откуда нет-нет да вдруг слабо доносятся какие-то гудящие звуки
    – shabunc
    Jul 25 '12 at 11:54
  • @shabunc: I think the reason there is no и in your example is that the following verb is imperfective. So putting an и there would be just wrong. In case of the OP's example, the verb is perfective so one really wants an и there, although I, too, can't say that its omission is wrong, maybe simply unusual Jul 26 '12 at 9:27
  • @ArmenTsirunyan - I could as well change the verb from perfective to imperfective in my example (найдутся -> наxодятся) and it would still sound ok to me. To me they all sound ok - regardless of the verb aspect or the presence of "и"
    – brilliant
    Jul 26 '12 at 10:26

запятая не ставится:

• перед сочетанием да и, имеющим соединительное значение (думал да и надумал)
  • в выражении нет-нет да и
  • в сочетании глаголов типа взял да и приехал.

here is the link

so you actually don't need comma here.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.