I have two ways to say it:

Дай свой  голос!
Проголосуйте!

The context is that there is a big voting going on and I want to invite Russian speaking people to come and vote also for the greater good.

Which way is the correct way to invite people to vote and why?

Tell them you want 100% participation, not 146%. – KCd Oct 9 '14 at 0:09
  • @KCd Which one means that I want 146% ? :D – Jaanus Oct 9 '14 at 7:23
  • @Jaanus It was a reference to one of the early TV reports on the last Presidental Election, now widely recognized in Russia as a meme. Perhaps a screenshot from Russia24 TV channel live broadcast would speak for itself better: is.gd/ccGXKb – lexxtb Oct 9 '14 at 9:15
  • corruption much? – Jaanus Oct 9 '14 at 11:04
  • Most certainly, sir. – lexxtb Oct 9 '14 at 11:35

The most frequently used phrases are:

Голосуй!
Отдай свой голос!

Both are correct.
The plural form is also usable:

Голосуйте!
Отдайте свой голос!

In my humble opinion, first phrase is the most informal, whenever the last one - is the most formal.

Don't say "Дай свой голос" - it is incorrect. literal translation of "come and vote" would be: "Приди и проголосуй!" or "Приходите и голосуйте!"

I don't think we can say "Отдай свой голос!". Seems incorrect to me. But we can say "Отдай свой голос за something"

For example "Отдай свой голос за партию Чебурашки !" (Vote for Cheburashka's political party)

"Дай свой голос" - is not correct, because "дай" means something we can really, physically give. We can say "Проголосуй" (прогосуйте) or "Отдай свой голос" (отдай свой голос за нового кандидата)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.