Which one is correct?

Церковь многиx кого не одобряет

or

Церковь много кого не одобряет

The second one is correct. And more knowledgeable people than me will provide an answer explaining why :). – Vitaly Mijiritsky Jul 28 '12 at 6:59
  • "Многих не одобряет" or "Много кого не одобряет". – user819 Nov 9 '12 at 4:22

I think that only the second variant ("много кого") is correct.

There are two different parts of speech in the examples you gave.

In the first example, многих is a form of многие, which is an adjective and modifies кого. It has the same structure as многие люди, or if you put it in the same context:

Церковь не одобряет многих людей.

If you are a native speaker, you can feel for yourself that многие кто sounds incorrect. I didn't manage to find any literature that describes syntactic properties of кто, but I think that it can hardly be modified by any adjectives at all. The only examples of this kind I can come up with are colloquial back-check questions like:

— Многие монофизиты пострадали в то время.
— Многие кто?

In the second example, много is an adverb. I didn't find anything about this function of много in a dictionary, but it seems to be very similar in function to мало in the following examples:

Он мало с кем разговаривает.
Мало кто об этом помнит.
Он мало где бывает.

And there is a special entry for this kind of usages of мало in the dictionary:

мало (с местоим. и нареч.).
Указывает на недостаточность, незначительное количество, редкость того, что обозначает местоименное слово.
М. что хорошего я услышал (немного).
М. где он бывает (в немногих местах).
М. какой прохожий остановится у калитки (немногие).
М. когда солнце светит с утра (изредка).

It can be translated as:

мало (with pronouns and adverbs).
Denotes insufficient, insignificant amount or rarity of the thing that is referred to by the pronoun.

Therefore, we can assume that много кто is a correct form, too.

• I think the easier explanation is that word in correct case tends to "rhyme", "click" with the question for the same case. Therefore, "много кого". It clicks like a magnet lock! – alamar Jul 28 '12 at 20:27
  • @alamar - honestly, neither "много кого" nor "многиx кого" strikes me as "clicking right". – brilliant Jul 28 '12 at 21:20

I think both variants are colloquial.

The correct form would be:

Церковь многих не одобряет.

Translation: The Church disapproves of many [people].

or

Церковь много чего не одобряет.

Translation: The Church disapproves of many [things].

though in the second case,

Церковь многое не одобряет.

would also be a better grammar.

• Why would it be a “better” grammar? Sure, it may well be more refined, official, literary, publishable version, but why exactly the colloquial variant be “worse”? – theUg Jan 6 '13 at 7:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.