Please, could somebody tell me how to say in Russian "Mechanical Draughtsman" It is a profession, trade. In English means a person who draws and designs mechanical, structural or machine parts. The drawing might be created on a drawing board or computer [ like AutoCad ] Google gives "рисовальщика".

Addendum

In English language a Draughtsman, or better to say a senior or designer draughtsman is a person who designs and thereafter draws machine parts or structural constructions. As his superior is a chief draughtsman, who might not be an engineer. It is impossible just to draw machine parts, the draughtsman must be able to create something new which is talked in meeting together with an engineer or engineers. Once a draugtsman gets an idea what the customer wants, he is left on his own to design and to draw or to produce a drawing.

I believe the translations could be:

• Конструктор or Инженер-конструктор (means a person who designs machine parts and draws technical images)
  • Чертежник (means a person who draws technical images)
  • Инженер-конструктор sounds the most pertinent. And by the way, a highly-skilled worker who makes part prototypes used to be called модельщик.
    – Avi Gordon
    Dec 17 '14 at 14:29
    Инженер-конструктор implies formal engineering education and is probably closer to a PE (Professional Engineer) designation. Draughtsman is indeed just чертежник.
    – mustaccio
    Dec 17 '14 at 14:48
  • "a person who draws and designs mechanical, structural or machine parts" - чертежник? I disagree.
    – Avi Gordon
    Dec 17 '14 at 20:46
    The OP's definition of a draughtsman conflicts with those found in common dictionaries, where it does not include the "design" part at all.
    – mustaccio
    Dec 18 '14 at 15:07
  • @AviGordon not модельщик, but модельер
    – Barmaley
    Dec 25 '14 at 10:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.