In English you can say "good day" as either a greeting or a goodbye. Can добрый день and its morning/evening variants be used in the same way, or only as a greeting?

It's Добрый день, and no, you cannot use it as a Goodbye. – Avi Gordon Jan 27 '15 at 10:25
    I am not sure about other flavours but in British English, as far as I know, Good day is not used as a greeting; and when it's used as a goodbye it implies sarcasm bordering on contempt. :) – Avi Gordon Jan 27 '15 at 10:31

Добрый день cannot be used as a goodbye, only as a greeting.

On the other hand, you can use доброго/хорошего/приятного дня/вечера which is basically "(I wish you a) good day".

I am not sure хорошего дня is not a very recent calque of the English Have a good day. It sounds to me exactly as such. – Avi Gordon Jan 27 '15 at 11:32
  • Could be, but it's pretty widespread nowadays. – Highstaker Jan 27 '15 at 13:00

If you need a general goodbye phrase, say «Всего хорошего!». It probably would work in any situation.

«Приятного вечера» is sometimes used, but it actually means having a nice time; so I would not say it to a person in the middle of boring work. «Хорошего дня!» is not very usual, but correct.

You can't use

Добрый день!

But, yes,

Доброго дня!

is perfectly ok. Genitiv here indicates, that you are it is a perting wish.

You can say доброй ночи and this will be only as a goodbye (good night).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.