What might be the best or easiest constructed language to learn to help me learn Russian, and why? I have this suspicion that learning another related language can help me understand the Russian mindset better. Also, the cases are a major thing for me to get used to. What are your thoughts on this?

After a night's sleep, I think what's going to help me a lot is if I can construct a language that's a cross between my native language and Russian, or even an English-Russian pidgin that uses the English vocabulary with "latinized" Russian conjugations and declensions. That could also be a lot of fun.

Slovio? As a teacher I think the best way to learn russian is just learning Russian, without any conlangs. – Yellow Sky Mar 5 '15 at 20:29
  • @YellowSky Please. Slovio is an embarrassing monstrosity. – Nikolay Ershov Mar 6 '15 at 3:08
    I think when it comes to learning Russian, all the energy you would put into learning the conlang you're going to need for Russian! – CocoPop Mar 8 '15 at 0:18
  • Sorry but I think this makes no sense. I'm going to learn how to drive a car so I think I should start with learning how to drive bike? WUT? – ttaaoossuu Mar 10 '15 at 8:35
    Russian is definitely not dead. Slovio is an unborn zombie. – ttaaoossuu Mar 13 '15 at 15:17

Better not. If you want to learn how to ride a bike - just ride a bike. The only thing that I can recommend - is Russian for children. It is easier to Russian. There are a lot of here. If you will have difficulties, russian.stackexchange.com always at your service.

| improve this answer | |

I would suggest Bulgarian. First, it is another Slavic language and it uses Cyrillic script. Second, the Old (Church) Slavonic language influenced Russian a lot, and it is very close to Bulgarian, since they both are South Slavic languages. It would be very helpful (in terms of vocabulary, morphology and spelling) to learn the similarities and differences between Russian and Bulgarian.

Now about cases. In Russian, cases do the job that prepositions in English do. Cases indicate relations between words. For example, Genitive case establishes, among some others, possessive relations, similar to the English preposition "of". Dative indicates direction of an action (not only, but mainly this): to. Accusative is for direct object (I saw her, her in English is in Accusative as well). Instrumental is basically for by/with relations. And prepositional for "about/of". This is a very simplified version of the Russian case system, but I hope it may help you to grasp the idea.

| improve this answer | |
    Have you ever tried to learn Bulgarian? That is a difficult language, its affinity to Russian is limited to the alphabet and lexicon, still even the lexicon, especially the everyday lexicon, is rather different from Russian, so is the spelling, Bulgarian has lots of words not found in the majority of the Slavic languages. Bulgarian stress accent is very different from Russian, its verb aspect has few connections with Russian, it has 4 past tenses and 2 future-in-the-past tenses while Russian has just 1 past tense. And the main thing is Bulgarian has no category of case at all. – Yellow Sky Mar 5 '15 at 20:22
  • And Bulgarian has articles, a unique feature for a Slavic language, they are found only in Bulgarian and in Macedonian which is closely related to Bulgarian, but not in Russian and not in any other Slavic language. – Yellow Sky Mar 5 '15 at 20:40
  • Yellow Sky, I studied Bulgarian for two years at the University. This is exactly why I suggested this language. I agree that its grammar is different from Russian. However, I'm convinced that learning two languages that are too similar is not very helpful. The opposite is true: learning a language that is of the same family, but is significantly different is more helpful. Also, one of my students is studying Russian and Bulgarian at the same time. His progress in both languages is amazing, so I assume, it is a good practice to pair those two languages. – Eugenia Vlasova Mar 5 '15 at 20:56
  • Do you think the progress of one student is enough to advise others to follow him? Bulgarian like any other language is a whole world of its own, why does a person who wants to learn Russian need to dip into the Bulgarian world? Besides, Bulgarian is not a conlang. – Yellow Sky Mar 5 '15 at 21:28
  • @Yellow Sky I have just tried to read Bulgarian text in Wikipedia and I would say, I understood nearly everything, it is much less enigmatic than Ukrainian where there is a lot of strange words and words looking similar but having different meaning. At least in terms of vocabulary, Bulgarian looks similar to Russian, the same words, just different endings. – Anixx Mar 6 '15 at 0:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.