I'm looking for russian words that throughout the course of history acquired a negative connotation, because they were linked, for exemple,to the politics of Soviet Unione, and during the last years they were replaced by english positively connoted or neutralterms. An exemple are the words предприниматель, капиталист and промышленник that had a socio-political negative connotation linked to the soviet ideology and for this reason to talk about a businessman they introduced the term businessman from english. i hope you can give me good answers and they will help me to write my thesis

I think бизнесмен sounds more negative than предприниматель. Предприниматель sounds like "good бизнесмен".
    – Anixx
    Mar 28 '15 at 11:29

приказчик (mostly a pre-1917 reality) can be (to a degree) related with post-1991 менеджер (but, not to miss it from notice:
a. приказчик is obsolete,
b. there are other words of nowadays Russia to name old „приказчик“ in modern circumstances, and those words are NOT (based on) new loan-words, e. g.: управляющий, продавец-консультант, ассистент)
And, yes, the image of приказчик was, as a rule, definitely negative in Soviet books and movies I could see in the late USSR.

Офис replacing контора, and I would maintain that this is the only example of what you're describing; anything else would be crossing into really heavy jargon (such as эйчар for кадровик) and/or trying to squeeze things in to fit a highly specific research topic — as with your 'businessman' example which, I'm afraid, does a rather poor job of describing both linguistic reality (предприниматель is actually more common than бизнесмен) and the processes that formed it (with промышленник and капиталист, it wasn't the connotations but the obsolescence; both sounded extremely Industrial Age).

Actually, эйчар and кадровик have different meanings. кадровик is a person who processes different stuff-related documents, and эйчар is a person who finds new people, shows them office, defining how to improve in-office atmosphere, etc.
    – Alissa
    May 19 '15 at 20:58

Барыга (pusher, profiteer, illicit dealer) — now дилер

нажива, барыш usage example (margin, spread) — now маржа

торговец (trader) — now трейдер

бульварная пресса (tabloid) — now таблоид

хахаль (boyfriend, suitor) — now бойфренд

дешевый перевозчик (low cost) — now лоукостер

for the sake of any other advantage I suggest searching the web for terms

заимствованные слова

иностранные слова

модные иностранные словечки

Most of the words on the left-hand side haven't really gone anywhere, and their contextual usages don't quite overlap with the new English borrowings. Apr 3 '15 at 10:31
  • @NikolayErshov I agree that there was no its complete substitution.
    – Avtokod
    Apr 3 '15 at 17:22

Слово "мерчендайзейзер" какое-то время вызывало некое, словно, почтение, своей претендующей величиной. Но спустя время, он превратился в простого "мерчика" с которым мы стали уже "на короткой".

• И какое же слово на русском было таким "плохим" что ему пришлось срочно английский эквивалент искать? Товаровед?
    – Artemix
    Mar 31 '15 at 8:49

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.