Is there any website that exists where I can have sentences or passages in Russian recorded for me? I like practicing my spoken Russian with translated sentences in spaced repetition programs such as Anki or Memrise, but I want to add audio to these sentences that I've selected to study (from Tatoeba.com, Anki decks and other sources). I am aware of forvo.com, though it is for words, and rhinospike.com, but are there any other resources available for getting recordings in Russian? Thanks!

2 Answers 2

I have seen the mention of Native Speakers. And nobody could give You an answer.

So I tried some tests at translate.yandex.ru . Speech engine wouldn't admit any critical error during the tests:

сегодня по-русски читается как севодня; часы по-русски читаются как чисы, в слове дядя слышится легкое здзядя.

For rapid control I dare to say that it's suitable.

A more finer-grained analysis is also possible. The consonant sounds of Russian fall into two classes: hard and soft. Russian spelling, unlike English, is almost phonetic, spelling by a small number of definite rules. Certain Russian words show a consonant variation.

should be
pronounced
 |
 |                An engine failure designated by X
hard __________________________________________________
 .               |                          |          |
 .               X                          X          |
 .               |                          |          |
 .           филателист    фен    шинель    демарш     тест     агрессия.
 .                         |        |                             |
 .                         |        X                             |
soft ______________________|________|_____________________________|

The test is failed, but it's utterly negligible.

• Being the native speaker, I really doubt if I could pass such a test myself ;-) BTW. The word "шинель" allows both hard and soft variants.
    – Matt
    Apr 16, 2015 at 6:01
    филателист with soft т? No way!
    – Anixx
    Apr 16, 2015 at 8:31
  • @Anixx , In филателист, демарш, тест the sound t must be a hard consonant, as indicated above.
    – Avtokod
    Apr 16, 2015 at 13:08
  • @Avtokod in your diagram it shows that in филателист the т should be soft.
    – Anixx
    Apr 16, 2015 at 13:09
  • @user4419802 dazor.narod.ru/russkie/slovari/orfoepicheskij-avanesov-1988/… шинЭль is wrong
    – Avtokod
    Apr 16, 2015 at 13:11

I think OpenLanguage RusPod is a good one..

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.