I've had many people use this with me but I haven't been able to get a good translation on it. Is it the same as вообще?

Yes, it is just misspelled вообще. – Artemix Apr 20 '15 at 12:48
    It's not just misspelled; I'd say it's intentionally misspelled. It's popular nowadays in Russian Internet. – UVV Apr 20 '15 at 14:03

Вообще has several intentional misspellings that reflect its colloquial pronunciations; вопще is just one of them, not in any way preferred to вапще or even ваще. All of them are more likely to reflect the, again, colloquial function of вообще as an emotionally laden "completely" or "totally", rather than its other meanings ("in general" or "as a matter of fact"); however, nothing stops the "emotional" вообще from being spelt regularly.

Yes, you're right. Variations in modern Russian slang:

Вообще: вобще, вопще, вапще
Вообще-то: вапщета, ващета, тащемта

• P.S. Feel free to use the correct spelling even if everybody around use "misspelled" versions. However, тащемта would have impressed me coming from non-native Russian speaker. – Nordik Apr 20 '15 at 14:45
    тащемта is a meme rather than a colloquialism. It's already dated and may be a превед-grade antiquity in a few more years. – Nikolay Ershov Apr 20 '15 at 15:09

It's just a misspelled word вообще. Usually, used, in similar cases, as English 'actually'. For example: 'Actually, I didn't mean it.', 'It's your turn, actually.', etc.

In general, generally speaking

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.