I have to translate some texts from russian and I cannot find anything about ”поджег бороду”. I mean, I have found out that the basic translation is to burn one's beard, but I think that there is something more, like an expression/ idiom. The context is: "Я закричал, поджег бороду редактора и направился к выходу. Вслед донеслось:.. " Thanks!

• This is joke, may not even be true. To maintain a conversation or create a playful atmosphere. It's easy. ) – Евгений Сарычев Apr 22 '15 at 7:17

It's not to "burn smb.'s beard" but to "set smb.'s beard on fire", a distinction that means rather a lot in practical terms. It's not an idiom, it's a comedic gag, with a touch of deadpan in juxtaposing it with the staid-sounding verb направился.

| improve this answer | |
  • Could you please explain the connection to "направиться"? What does the latter mean besides "head toward"? – SAH Feb 19 '17 at 22:33
  • @SAH Nothing, it's not the meaning but the style and perhaps the pace that направился implies. I get the vague impression that he screamed, set the guy's beard on fire, and then "made his way towards the exit" in no particular hurry. Although now that I look at it, I could be overanalysing. – Nikolay Ershov Feb 20 '17 at 16:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.