Ie words like COP or HAM which have a similar spelling but a totally different meaning in russian or in english. Can you provide the back translation of the russian?

Are you trying to create a funny car registration plate?
    – cha
    Apr 28 '15 at 4:39

I've created two word lists from aspell's databases. I used the standard rules for Latin-Cyrillic symbol correspondence which defines symbols usable on Russian vehicle license plates: ABEKMHOPCTYX

The English word list:

aspell --lang=en dump master | egrep -i "^[ABEKMHOPCTYX]+$" | sed 's/.*/\U&/' | tr 'ABEKMHOPCTYX' `echo 'АВЕКМНОРСТУХ' | iconv -f utf-8 -t koi8-r` | iconv -f koi8-r -t utf-8 | sort > en-sorted.txt

The Russian word list:

aspell --lang=ru dump master | sed 's/\/.*//;s/.*/\U&/' | egrep -i '^[АВЕКМНОРСТУХ]+$' | sort > ru-sorted.txt

Comparison:

comm -12 en-sorted.txt ru-sorted.txt | awk '{print length, $0}' | sort -n | cut -d" " -f2-

This yields quite a long list with two five-letter matches:

МЕССА
ТОТЕМ

and a handful of four-letter matches:

АТОМ
ВАКЕ
ВЕЕР
ВЕЕТ
ВОСК
КАМА
МАМА
МЕТА
МОРЕ
МОСК
НАТЕ
РАСТ
СНОС
СОТЕ

ВАКе is apparently ВАК (Высшая аттестационная комиссия) in prepositional, and I don't have a slightest idea about what моск is, but otherwise the list looks legit.

• МОСК is "Международное Общество Сознания Кришны".
    – Yellow Sky
    Apr 29 '15 at 7:35
  • @YellowSky: it's spelt in lowercase in the database
    – Quassnoi
    Apr 29 '15 at 7:47
  • Моск is мозг in an Internet slang. lurkmore.to/%D0%BC%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA
    – Dmitriy
    Apr 30 '15 at 19:00
  • "А ВЕК МОНСТРУХ" легче запомнить чем по алфавиту)))
    – snetch
    Dec 14 '18 at 19:46
  • а Ваке это район в Тбилиси
    – snetch
    Dec 14 '18 at 19:48

ВОР — thief.

MAX — a swing or stroke.

ОН — the pronoun "he".

Italicised lowercase (in most though not all typefaces) has a lot more, as т and и become part of it:

роет — "[he/she/it] digs".

сир — "sire" (not "sir", which is сэр), or obsoletely "is orphaned" (predicate form of сирый).

соте — "to a cell" (in a beehive).

тор — "torus". (The same word capitalised: Тор — Thor.)

In Times New Roman, lowercase italic п is identical to n, giving you nар "steam", "on, over", реn "of turnips", саn "glanders". (I'm replacing п with the Latin letter here.)

There must be many more and it's hard to come up with an exhaustive list.

• соте - wrong definition, ru.wiktionary.org/wiki/%D1%81%D0%BE%D1%82%D0%B5 in a beehive it would be соты
    – UVV
    Apr 28 '15 at 9:42
  • @UVV соты? in dative singular? I did specify the form and there's no reason to exclude oblique cases. but you're right, it could also mean "sauté". didn't think of that. Apr 28 '15 at 9:53

Besides mentioned word "Сор" there is also the word "Mycop" which normally means "Trash" but in the jargon - "the Policeman".

сор is the obsolete word for garbage or litter. It's used quite rarely. Pronounced like [s o r]

нам is the pronoun meaning "us". Its transcription is [n ʌ m]

How come сор became obsolete?
    – UVV
    Apr 28 '15 at 7:25
    @UVV, do you think it's used often enough? I can only remember an idiom выносить сор из избы where сор is presented. Also, the related verb сорить is current. But сор itself is out of use in everyday speech, IMHO.
    – Ivan
    Apr 28 '15 at 11:24
  • Just because it's not used on daily basis doesn't mean it's obsolete. As you mentioned it's a noun from verb сорить
    – UVV
    Apr 28 '15 at 12:15
  • @UVV, it's a misunderstanding, I guess. Let's see an example. The American Heritage Dictionary describes the obsolete label thus: "The label obsolete is used with entry words and senses no longer in active use, except, for example, in literary quotations." That's exactly the same that I ment for сор. But you might got it like this word is no more.
    – Ivan
    Apr 28 '15 at 14:02

НАТЕ - take it

There was a rock band with that name in 80's.

There was also a Mayakovsky's poem НАТЕ, based exactly on the word play with the English word.
    – Anixx
    Apr 28 '15 at 16:20
  • Do you have the poem? I've looked for it but can't find it. In Russian and in English if you do. Thanks very much.
    – martin
    Apr 29 '15 at 5:13
  • @martin - I'm not sure whether Mayakovsky did mean the pun on the English 'hate', but here's the poem, 1913: stihi-rus.ru/1/Mayakovskiy/25.htm
    – Yellow Sky
    Apr 29 '15 at 7:31
  • I've seen HATE translated as 'Take it' or 'Take that'. does it have any other meanings like 'catch it' or 'get it'?
    – martin
    Apr 30 '15 at 12:05

ОМОН, a system of special police units, looks like a mirror image of "HOMO", which in English is a derogatory short form of "homosexual".

Boing boing has a photo of the police, with their name visible.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.