I'm a little confused on this phrase. Are the cases nominative + идти в ущерб + dative? Спасибо

• Note, that the correct Russian word is "фраза". – Yellow Sky May 5 '15 at 15:03
  • @YellowSky - phrase is not the same as фраза. The word "phrase" is a false friend. – user31264 May 5 '15 at 15:29
  • @user31264 - There's no such Russian word as "фраз". The noun "фраза" in the Genitive plural is "фраз", still, it's a form of "фраза" meaning "of the phrases" like in "значение этих фраз" - 'the meaning of these phrases.' – Yellow Sky May 5 '15 at 15:37
  • Aleks - "идти в ущерб" is not a фраза, but словосочетание. There is no word "фраз" in Russian, and фраза means sentence (in the context of language, there is also "музыкальная фраза". – user31264 May 5 '15 at 15:38
  • I know (and just wrote it) that there's no such Russian word as "фраз", but you cannot say that "фраза" is the correct Russian word. It is only a correct Russian word, and "the" correct word is probably словосочетание. – user31264 May 5 '15 at 15:41

Yes, they are. Usually it is used as:

X не должен (не может, не будет) идти в ущерб Y.

X is in nominative, Y is in dative. The verb должен (может, будет) matches the gender and number of X.

One of the options is:

Х (именительный падеж, кто? что?) идёт в ущерб Y (дательный падеж, кому? чему?).

Example:

Излишний контроль (что?) идёт в ущерб развитию (чему?).

(Excessive control comes at the expense of development.)

Of course, don't forgot to put the verb идти and the noun развитие in the correct form, according to the gender and number.

Yes, they are. In addition, I'd say there might be some limitations for what is used as the subject in the place before the "не должно идти в ущерб" expression. Typically, the subject tends to mean some continuing action (like doing something) or occupation (like a hobby) rather than some static object or thing. For example, "не должно идти в ущерб" can be used in a situation like this:

Your hobby shouldn't get in the way of your working on PhD.

Твоё хобби не должно идти в ущерб работе над диссертацией.

Synonyms for "идти в ущерб":

• вредить,

• идти во вред,

• мешать (чему либо).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.