• И еще один вопрос интересующий больше русских верующих — правда ли, что в День Света на плите Гроба лежит вата?

• Нет. В день Света на плите Святого Гроба нет ваты. Там стоят лампады.

Source: http://armenianchurch.do.am/publ/paskhalnoe_palomnichestvo_v_ierusalim/2-1-0-44

Google translates this as

• Another issue of interest to many Russian believers - is it true that on the Day of Light at the plate Holy Sepulchre is wool?

• No. On the day of the World at the plate Holy Sepulchre is not wool. There are lamps.

A more accurate translation would be appreciated, but I am especially bewildered by the translation of "вата" or "ваты" as "wool", which makes no sense, when something quite different (perhaps "miraculous"?) would be expected. Every online dictionary I can find fails to provide any meaning of "вата" or "ваты" as anything but "wool" or the like. Is this some sort of idiom?

• It is important to state that вата means cotton wool only while other kinds of wool are reffered by different names. – Rilakkuma May 13 '15 at 0:54
  • There is also сахарная вата (cotton candy, lit. "sugar wool"). – user31264 May 13 '15 at 5:57
  • I recommend you to google your word if you want know exactly meaning. In your case it is useful - google.com.ua/… – RredCat May 19 '15 at 20:20

I'm not a religious person, but from the source it seems there were debates on how the candles on the slab are lit. People ask if they are lit from cotton wool. A quick google search shows that there might be implications that the cotton wool (if placed on the slab) can be lit by some miraculous act:

После солнца - тотчас облако, потом роса и вследствие росы - Огонь. Роса падает на вату, которая лежит на Гробе Господнем, - и мокрая вата вдруг загорается голубым Огнём

But the father answers that there is no wool on the slab, just oil lamps.

So yes, the question is about cotton wool:

And another question that interests mainly Russian believers: is it true that on the Day of Light [not sure how it is called in English, it is the Saturday of the Holy Week] there is cotton wool on the slab of the Holy Sepulcher?

No, there is no wool on the slab of the Holy Sepulcher on the Day of Light. There are only oil lamps.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.