I have a habit of using всё ещё in situations that call for "still" or "yet" in English. Apparently in my mind they're interchangeable, with a leaning towards всё ещё as the default in all cases. Natives are continuously correcting this back to bare ещё. I've tried to find rules for the usage of these terms and wasn't successful. Any help would be appreciated.

• are you confusing всё ещё with вcё or ещё? Either the title or the body is misleading.
    – Quassnoi
    Jun 22, 2015 at 20:03
  • I think it's similar to: "She/He is still XXX" vs. "She still has XXX"; "всё ещё" - stronger form ( "he still has not married") Jun 22, 2015 at 21:03
  • всё = everything, all ещё = more, yet, still—"more" is the base meaning in my opinion всё + ещё = EVERYTHING still = (Stronger version, like He's STILL here, omg!) (Or I'm STILL here and I'm not going away). Take the literal meaning and add your own flavor on top of that and you get the feeling for most of these constructions.
    – VCH250
    Jun 23, 2015 at 16:54

1 Answer 1

The "ещё" version tends to be used in a situation when something doesn't happen for the reason it's a bit early for it to happen. The "всё ещё" version has a slight hint in it that the time has come for something to happen but it still doesn't happen.

Она ещё не замужем. (probably she's a young girl)

Она всё ещё не замужем. (sounds like she's not too young at that)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.