Both seem to be perfective and mean "to return".

I saw more verbs that have -ться counter parts.

What is the difference ?
What meaning does "-ться“ carry ?

Вернуть is to return as in give something back. Вернуться is to return as in come back.

-ся (which becomes -сь after a vowel, except in adjectival participles) is simply the reflexive particle. Вернуться is literally "to return oneself".

-ться is, grammatically, just the sum of its parts (infinitive -ть + reflexive -ся); phonetically, though, it's notable for its irregular non-palatalised pronunciation, e.g. напиться rhymes perfectly with пицца. Moreover, -ться is identical in pronunciation to the third-person present -тся, resulting in perhaps the most commonplace of spelling mistakes made by Russians, a sort of cultural equivalent of "your"/"you're".

an oldie but goldie: "Здесь хорошо спиться." "-тся." "-ться."
    – Quassnoi
    Jun 23 '15 at 14:57

Consider "I return" (or "I'll be back") = "Я вернусь" vs "Return it to sender" = "Вернуть отправителю".

"-ся" is the reflexive particle much like one in German/Italian/Spanish etc. You may treat "вернуться" as "return oneself" although hardly anyone says so in English.

Compare:

"Я должен вернуть долг. Скоро заканчивается его срок."

"Я хочу вернуть книгу."

"Она хотела вернуть любовь."

and:

"Я должен вернуться домой. Забыл ключи от гаража."

"Мы можем вернуться к первому вопросу из списка."

"Они собрались вернуться на корабль."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.