In Russian, we use нравиться to express likes.

Я им нравлюсь. They like me.

Google translate, however, gave me this for the translation of

He doesn't like chatting on the Internet.
ему не нравится в чате в Интернете.

Why not

Чат в интернете ему не нравится

Or

Ему не нравится чат в интернете.

I wouldn't consider Google Translate the highest authority if I were you.
    – CocoPop
    Jun 24 '15 at 2:52
  • It certainly isn't. However, I've got nothing better to use. Have you got any suggestions ?
    – Ascendant
    Jun 24 '15 at 2:59
  • translate.yandex.ru He doesn't like chatting on the Internet. -> Он не любит общаться в Интернете. Яндекс often(not always) better then google for rus<->eng translate
    – Eugene
    Jun 24 '15 at 3:24
  • @PerfectGundam: ... or you can use a site like Lang-8, where you can write anything and get feedback, corrections, suggestions, variants from thousands of native speakers.
    – CocoPop
    Jun 24 '15 at 4:58
    translate.ru He doesn't like chatting on the Internet. -> Ему не нравится болтать в Интернете. Jun 24 '15 at 7:34
He doesn't like chatting on the Internet.
Ему не нравится в чате в Интернете.
Чат в интернете ему не нравится
Ему не нравится чат в интернете.
  1. He doesn't like chatting on the Internet.
    Он не любит чатиться в интернете.
    Ему не нравится чатиться в интернете. (when "чатиться" used, "в интернете" is redundant)
    verb, process
    чатиться = "to chat", Russified, wide used
    общаться, болтать в интернете = any communication. including any multimedia

2. Чат в интернете ему не нравится / Ему не нравится чат в Интернете.
    He doesn't like a chat on the Internet.
    noun, place

3. Чат в интернете = a chat (each or any), not "the chat"
    Тот(этот) чат в интернете = the chat
    %имя_чата% ему не нравится = he doesn't like %chat_name%
    "В кроватке" ему не нравится = he doesn't like In-The-Bed-Chat

4. some Russified words :))
    — чатиться = to chat
    — скайпиться = to skype
    — сёрфить (редко используется) = "сидеть в интернете" (часто используется) = to surf
    — смситься, эсемеситься, эсэмэситься = to SMS
    — аська, васька = icq. Here is a wordplay. Ася — это женское имя, Аська — уменьшительно-ласкательное Ася. "Я в аське" means "I'm in the ICQ", "I'm online in the ICQ". Васька = Вася = Василий — мужское имя.

• One more quetion, even though you don't chat or skype with yourself, скайпиться is valid and the correct form ?
    – Ascendant
    Jun 24 '15 at 22:45
    @PerfectGundam А что Вас смущает? Возвратная форма? Возвратные глаголы в русском языке могут употребляться в различных случаях. Непосредственно здесь имеет место так называемое "взаимно-возвратное действие".
    – Matt
    Jun 25 '15 at 7:06
    @PerfectGundam Moreover you can only 'чатиться', there's no such word 'чатить' or 'скайпить'.
    – 2Jura5
    Jun 25 '15 at 8:24
  • @PerfectGundam it's not the reflexiveness of the verb, the скайпиться by itself might sound lame or overly-slangish. While чатиться is a part of an internet person's everyday vocab, скайпиться isn't. Jul 1 '15 at 7:45

This time Google was wrong. All your suggestions are correct. Feel free to use them.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.