'Засрать' (from 'срать') is а rude Russian verb means just about 'to dirty off' (literally: to grime smth with feces). What is the correct form of its imperfect: 'засирать' or 'засерать'? And why so?
//---------
Как будет несовершенный вид к засрать?

Засирать should be correct; compare забрать/забирать and задрать/задирать, as well as a few verbs with a differently patterned infinitive but the same present-tense stem: запереть (запру) — запирать, замереть (замру) — замирать, etc.

• Yes, all right.))) – behemothus Jul 17 '15 at 14:38

I would consider засерать as pretty archaic, coming from the form засерить. In modern language, засирать is more natural.

• I would consider засерать a spelling mistake, both now and centuries ago. Where does засерить even come from? Looks so counter-etymological it's probably relatively new. – Nikolay Ershov Aug 1 '15 at 22:19
  • Well, probably not archaic but regional. I have heard серить a lot from elder people, but my experience is biased towards Ukrainian-ish dialects. – grep Aug 2 '15 at 1:17
    @Nikolay Ershov, I've heard it few times in the forms 'Хватит серить", 'насерили', etc. But it sounds a bit dialectic (South of Russia and Ural region). – George Shuklin Aug 2 '15 at 15:33
  • @GeorgeShuklin could it be a plenivocal infinitive (like тереть) with shifted stress due to semantic reasons (disambiguation from сереть=>серею), later reinterpreted as 2nd conjugation? – Nikolay Ershov Aug 2 '15 at 16:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.