I am attempting to translate the sentance is but an image from Fausts Chorus Mysticus. So far I have это но копия but I am wondering if it should be just но копия as the literal translation of the first sentance is it is but an image. How should the sentance be written? Does the meaning of это change depending on the context in which it is used so as to effectivey be a Russian equivalent of is? Thanks.

• I am pretty sure Faust has been translated into Russian before (more than once, in fact). :) There are numerous ways to treat such to be-sentences. I would prefer using "лишь". Probably because it is a one-syllable word, so it is extremely easy to fit it into any rhythm.
    – Shady_arc
    Jul 29 '15 at 21:28
  • "это но копия" is ungrammatical
    – Anixx
    Jul 30 '15 at 8:25

This is quite strange to translate English translation(!) into Russian, isn't it?

In Deutsch this excerpt sounds like:

Alles Vergängliche

Ist nur ein Gleichnis

That is "All the transient is only similitude". And in Russian: "Всё преходящее есть только подобие". In Pasternak's translation: "Всё быстротечное - символ, сравненье".

So what's the use to translate "is but an image"? If it stood completely without context I'd translate it as: "есть только образ".

• +1, there's nothing to add, a very good answer.
    – Yellow Sky
    Jul 30 '15 at 10:52

First of all, но is just the "but" as in "however". "But" as in "only" is лишь (and "but" as in "not X but Y" is а).

Depending on the exact phrase, you may not even need the это. Or even the dash.

The exact equivalent of is is есть, but it's mostly used to say "there is". It's the same for all persons and numbers in modern Russian.

Also, just in case, beware of суть; most Russian speakers nowadays use it incorrectly, mistaking it for some super-bookish equivalent of есть; in fact, it's merely its obsolete plural form ("they are"), and a sad case of a bastardised archaism.

• But it is an equivalent of есть. я есмь/ ты еси/ он есть/ вы есте/ они суть/—are't hey all equivalent?
    – VCH250
    Jul 30 '15 at 4:57
    Кстати, какой падеж лучше использовать с настоящим родом глагола "быть"? то есть, лучше "я есмь жестоким Королем", или лучше "я есмь жестокий король"? Нужно ли использовать творительный падеж здесь?
    – VCH250
    Jul 30 '15 at 5:06
    @CoreyRoberts-Reynolds При использовании современного алфавита для записи церковнославянских выражений ряд упрощений является нормой, в том числе пропуск буквы "ер" (а также замена "омега" на "о", "ять" на "е", отсутствие постановки ударений, неиспользование "титло" и т.д. и т.п.).
    – Matt
    Jul 30 '15 at 19:34
    It does not say in fairy tales what "гой еси" means (it's similar with "иже еси"—after all, "гой" and "иже" do not resemble anything meaningful). Actually, I always just understood it as speech formula—not unlike "Hello"—and learnt the meaning of "еси" directly from looking for the old conjugation.
    – Shady_arc
    Jul 31 '15 at 21:48
    @Corey Roberts-Reynolds: Этот глагол, точно говоря, сначала звучал в старо-церковно-славянском "ѩти" (jęti), а ять звали (по английской Википедии) "ѣдь" (ědĭ) или "ꙗдь" (jadĭ). Это случай, что позже эти слова стали так похожи. Надо помнить, что носовая гласная /ę/ это не было то же, что звук /a/ после /j/.
    – BartekChom
    Aug 2 '15 at 9:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.