Does anybody know what the word пахтярь means? It appears to refer to a profession.

I'm guessing it means "ploughman" but I can't find it in any dictionaries.

Answers in Russian are welcome.

В литературном русском языке слова "пахтярь" нет, но, в принципе, оно может быть диалектным производным от глагола "пахтать" (to churn), т.е. "пахтярь" = "тот, кто пахтает".

Также это может быть либо искажённым "пахарь" (ploughman), либо украинским "пахтяр" - некий тип арендатора в сельском молочном хозяйстве (опять же, явно родственно глаголу "пахтать" - "to churn").

Google finds only one reference to spelling "пахтярь." It is a novel in Ukrainian by Ivan Franko "Foundations of Society" Hence the version of modified "пахтяр" (some kind of a renter он а milk farm) seems to be the likeliest.
    – Vitaly
    Aug 28 '15 at 13:29
  • Thank you. It's most likely a Russification of the Ukrainian word. A reference to the Ukrainian word was exactly what I needed.
    – Dave
    Aug 28 '15 at 15:34

ploughman would be пахарь as any dictionary says. I've never heard пахтярь in Russian; perhaps it exists in some other Slavic language.

Пахтяр (sic) is apparently Ukrainian for someone who rents farmland or cattle. Judging by the search results I get, it's probably obsolete. http://explain_words_uk.academic.ru/4686/%D0%BF%D0%B0%D1%85%D1%82%D1%8F%D1%80

This site is temporarily in read only mode and not accepting new answers.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .